Friday 25 October 2013

ROKA Cheese Crispies

A very long time ago in the 1960s we had a yellow and blue tin with a picture of a cow on it. And the Roka biscuits lived in that tin. They were expensive - possibly because they came in a tin - so we didn't have them very often, and we called them Cow Biscuits. Because of the picture on the tin.

This is a very old memory but a real one; not prompted by photographs of very small me and my smaller brother eating crisps.

I don't know what happened to our original tin or tins but I found this on eBay. Amazing! Just how I remember it. I still need to attack it with wire wool  to get rid of the rust but I've got to say I'm pretty thrilled with my purchase.

But look at this: Roka Cheese Crispies are still made, and they haven't changed a bit. Oh, they make all sorts of fancy new versions but the basic Crispie is just the same as ever. Or is it a Crispy? Well, anyway, it's a small cheese biscuity thing. And they still make them!

 These are very delicate little biscuits, like cheese straws in a way, with a delicate cheesy taste. It's gouda cheese from Holland - which does have a delicate taste. Nothing shouty like mature cheddar. I guess they're made in the same way as puff pastry with lots and lots of very fine layers, and they break along the fault lines between the layers. You really need to take care when you bite because otherwise a chunk will drop off and then it's gone forever.

I have a very strict rule about not eating stuff that falls on the floor. I gather some people have a 5 second rule but for me if it falls on the floor I'm not eating it. And that would be a waste.

Cheese Crispies are so good but for some reason they are even better if you warm them slightly. I wouldn't put them in the oven, but maybe if you have an open fire put a little bowlful by the hearth and they'll taste even better after a couple of minutes. Yum.

So these Crispies come very very highly recommended although please don't expect a modern exciting taste. It's not about excitement. It's not about a big spicy taste. It's about a gentle grown-up cheesy biscuit that tastes very good with a glass of sherry or champagne.

They probably taste pretty good with anything although maybe not a cup of coffee.

You can still get Roka Cheese Crispies in a tin if you look hard enough. They usually come in a cardboard box, with the crispies in an airtight silver baggie. But as I write Lakeland are selling tins at £6.99 which is quite a lot for two packets of cheesy biscuits. But I guess if I got one of these tins now I wouldn't have to buy one off eBay in my old age. Something to consider perhaps. Maybe I could even sell it on eBay in my old age?



Brilliant.

3 comments :

  1. Hello Georgina,
    It is so nice to read your item about the ROKA Cheese Crispies.
    Like you mention, at ROKA we still make the same Gouda Cheese Crispies as we made 'in the old days', but we have many more different products and flavours nowadays, all with the same great quality. Since you are such a crisp lover, we would love to send you some different varieties to try. We could even include the current ROKA tin for you, so that you do not need to attack your historical tin with wirewool. We hope to hear from you where we could send the products. Please just use the contact form at our website for this. Best regards, ROKA The Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!! I have been searching EVERYWHERE for these delectible childhood treats!!! I cannot believe that I finally found something on line about them, but only after I added “1960s”!!!! Ypu have made me so very happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help "Unknown"! I can usually find Cheese Crispies in my local Waitrose - which is quite a small branch - so a large one would be a better bet. Obviously I don't know if you have a local Waitrose but fingers crossed. I first remember these extremely fabulous cheesy snacks in 1964 but ROKA is very much alive and kicking as a crispy snack company. Maybe you need to take a trip to the Netherlands?

      Delete