Monday 28 August 2017

Kettle Chips Chef's Signature Yorkshire Wensleydale & Cox Apple Chutney

"Why do they taste of mince pie?" asked Slightly Red-Haired Bristolian taste tester. And she's kind of right.

I had high hopes for this cheese and chutney flavour crisp. Yorkshire Wensleydale is a Protected Geographical Indication which means you can't call your cheese Yorkshire Wensleydale unless it comes from Wensleydale in Yorkshire. Indeed these crisps are made in partnership with Wensleydale Creamery.

So it's a bit of a shame that the reluctant taste testers didn't really like these crisps very much in fact Tall Elegant taste tester thought them horrid.

I wouldn't go that far myself but there's an awful lot of flavour dust which seemed to us to be overly cheesy, and a bit too creamy. And here's weird; I had already though for myself that the crisps are oddly fizzy but I didn't say anything. And then Tall taste tester remarked on it too.

Wensleydale is a particularly creamy cheese (and a favourite of Wallace of Wallace & Gromit fame) but I'm not always sure that creaminess works very well with crisps. And the chutney is far too strong an element. I notice that one of the ingredients is ground cassia which I've not come across before. A quick look online tells me it's like cinnamon.

A quick sniff assures me these crisps smell of mince pie. I'm not sure this flavour is a good idea for a crisp.

No comments :

Post a Comment