Monday 11 January 2016

Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips Sea Salt

We already tried Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Straws and liked them quite a lot. So I thought we should try the chips as well.

How small they are! And to my surprise not crinkle cut crisps (chips) at all but an extruded potato flour crispy snack. I suppose you can't very easily add beetroot or spinach colour to a potato crisp, but you can add it to the potato flour and starch paste. I guess it's a similar recipe to what they use for the straws but made into a crinkle cut chip shape.

Quite nice but not terribly exciting. That's what I said to History Graduate taste tester as we paused by the bowl of chips, and he agreed with me.

It's a shame that the beetroot, tomato, and spinach don't seem to add anything to the taste. You might expect chips with different colours to taste differently. But I don't think they do. And I think the flavour should be Lightly Salted rather than Sea Salt. Oh wait, the packet says these chips are delicately seasoned.

The combination of garden grown potatoes, ripe vegetables and 30% less fat then the leading potato chip provides a better-for-you snack says the packet. And These airy, light and crunchy chips allow for 38 chips per serving! 

No GMO, 0g trans fat, no artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives, 0g cholesterol, vegan, certified kosher and you can recycle the bag!

Not half bad for a healthier style of crispy snack but I do wish the different colours had a different taste. A missed opportunity I think.

No comments :

Post a Comment