Tuesday 27 October 2015

Fiddler's Lancashire Crisps Black Pudding & English Mustard

All my life I have studiously avoided eating black pudding.

It's on the list of things I really can't bring myself to fancy; pork belly, pig or beef cheek, tripe (once tried never forgotten), hot cooked tongue (cold pressed tongue is quite a different matter), ox tail (a speciality of an old boyfriend's mother - oh dear), and cod throats (seriously?? how do you cook a throat?). Of course there are many other thing I won't eat, but I don't want you to get bored.

So it was with a certain amount of trepidation that I opened this packet of crisps.

First thought: it's a beautifully designed packet. Lovely grey and yellow combination. Very swish. Whoever it is designs the packaging for Fiddler's has done a top job.

Second thought: the most obvious taste is mustard. Now it's not that I won't eat mustard, I quite like the kind that comes with mustard seeds and honey, but all too often I find it an overpowering addition to a recipe.

The mustard was not overpowering in this flavour but it did mean that I was not particularly keen. However, the rest of the reluctant taste testers, once they had overcome their anxiety about the black pudding, seemed to quite like this flavour.

I say quite like because we felt it doesn't meet the supremely high standard of the Creamy Lancashire Cheese flavour. Which is just superb.

No comments :

Post a Comment