Saturday 4 July 2015

M&S Maple Bacon Hand Cooked Crisps

Another new crisp variety from the wonderful world of the crisp development department at Marks & Spencer. Maple Bacon flavour.

OK, now. This allegedly bacon flavour crisp is advertised as suitable for vegetarians. The family vegetarian happened to be staying so I asked how she felt about what I consider to be a pretty odd idea. I mean, if you don't want to eat meat why would you want to eat a meat flavoured crispy snack?

And the family vegetarian agreed that's how she feels. Because one of the reasons she doesn't eat meat is that she doesn't like the taste. However, she does admit to knowing vegetarians who fancy the meat taste but won't eat animals. So they will eat meat flavour crisps. So. I guess you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Well, I am not a vegetarian so I tucked into these crisps regardless. And so did the reluctant taste testers.

Lovely crisps as always from M&S. Good crunch, lots of lovely flavour dust, nice smell too (even a week later as I write this the bag smells rather good). But the flavour isn't quite as flavoursome as I had hoped. Very nice crisps but I think they could have been rather wonderful had the taste been stronger.

Nonetheless the bowlful at work was snacked up quite quickly.

This is one of the Tastes of the British Isles range which has appeared in the summer of 2015. As there is no bacon in the recipe I can't ask which part of the UK that comes from, and maple syrup? Famous for coming from Canada isn't it? I'm not aware of any maple syrup farms in Britain.

I hope The Furry Gnome at Seasons in the Valley will forgive me for adding a link to his fascinating posts about maple syrup farms in Canada. Do take a look if you are at all interested. He followed this post with 2 more.

2 comments :

  1. why oh why cant you get these amazing crisps. They seem to have stopped making them, which is MAD as they are a real food changer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t answer that. But it’s so often the flavours you like that get cancelled.

      Delete