Monday 23 March 2015

The Real Crisp Co. Hand Cooked Sea Salt & Black Pepper

The crisp market can be very strange at times. If you read this blog regularly you may remember that last year much to my astonishment I found several packets of Scottish crisps at Sion railway station (Switzerland); just the other day I was in Globus in Bern (also Switzerland) where I picked up crisps from Spain and Belgium, although I could also have bought crisps from Britain or Ireland. And this packet from The Real Crisp Co, which was made in Wales, I found at Geneva airport. The Swiss, it seems, are interested in international crisps.

Anyhow, I found this little 35g packet at the gate while waiting for my flight home. Which was late.

I'm not sure about this slate grey packaging and the strange woman with two colours of nail varnish. Of course I'll buy all sorts of crisps, alluring packaging or no, but I have to say I'm really not crazy about this image. Still, I bought the packet anyway (you knew I would).

Nice lot of skin left on the potatoes, not a terrific aroma but a great crunch (perhaps a little harder than normal), slightly darker than the usual pale golden colour, and a very tasty salt and pepper taste. It's helped along by added onion powder, and there's also sugar, milk yeast powder and other "made in a factory" crisp ingredients including "spices" whatever that means.

Not an amazing crisp but very nice. And in a nice little bag. Ideal really if you're about to get on a plane.

These Welsh crisps are hand cooked in sunflower oil and suitable for vegetarians. The company that makes them is Sirhowy Valley Foods Ltd, otherwise known as The Real Crisp Co. Based in Crumlin near Newport in Gwent.

No comments :

Post a Comment