Thursday 17 April 2014

ICA Crik Crok Stick

We found these Crik Crok Sticks from Italian firm ICA at the supermercato in Baveno. And look! They seem to have their own radio station. How weird is that? Who ever heard of a brand of crisps with a radio station?

Crikey! I logged into radiocrikcrok.com and it really is a radio station. Well, OK, it's a website that appears to be a radio station. An unfortunately mostly plays the kind of music I really don't like that much (not really very surprised) and rather too loud.

While I was writing this the DJ was Emauele Carocci (the poor man is apparently on air from 15:00 - 20:00) and currently playing are Zedd feat. Mattew Koma and Miriam Bryant with Find You followed closely by Cris Cab with Liar Liar. Never heard of either of them. And then we got In My Place by Coldplay. At least I've heard of them.

As I've mentioned before, my Italian isn't the best so I'm afraid I can't make out why this packet of crisps should be associated with an online radio station.

Anyway, I thought these very thin sticks of potato very very old fashioned. They reminded me of the crisps we used to have when I was little. Quite a strong crunch, not very salty so not a lot of flavour, and very oily.

However, I tried them on the reluctant taste testers at work and they proved very popular. So at least they didn't go to waste.

ICA has a gripping website with loads of exciting Crik Crok crisps to read about. They come in flavours as diverse as Gold & Blue (speciality blue potatoes from France), Honey & Mustard, Ungarisch (possibly a Hungarian flavour like... goulash?), Surprise (like Kinder Surprise with a toy in - I think), Snack is Fun (what sort of flavour can that be I wonder?) and Bell'Italia which sounds rather good.

I feel cheated. I think we bought the dullest Crik Crok crisps around. Maybe next time we go to Italy we'll find something more exciting.

I can't believe I've listened to Radio Crik Crok the whole time I was writing this. Even the 8 o'clock news (in Italian) which seemed to mention Silvio Berlusconi quite often. And here's an interesting thing. You can like Crik Crok crisps on facebook (not unusual) but their page is rather dull. You can also like Radio Crik Crok which has a rather more exciting page and one of their friends is Forza Italia which is Silvio Berlusconi's political party. And guess what? There's a photo of the lovely Silvio taking a selfie. Of course there is. Does he eat Crik Crok crisps we ask ourselves?

Well well. You never know what you're going to find when you open a packet of crisps. Of course, you usually get potatoes in some form or other but you never know what else will turn up.


No comments :

Post a Comment